In an ongoing scientific collaboration with Monash University stem cell laboratory and Professor Richard Boyd from the Department of Immunology, we are developing treatment protocols that can help to regenerate and repair tissues that are waning due to the natural ageing process.
What are stem cells?
There are a number of different types, but the ones that we are working with are known as adult stem cells and are collected from around your adipocytes (fat cells).
Adipose-derived stem cells can differentiate into a number of different cell types (including muscle, bone, cartilage, fat, blood vessels, fibroblasts – which make collagen) and have the ability to self-renew. This means they can potentially repair ageing tissue and regenerate an area of the body.
Adult stem cells are different to the embryonic ones because they are obtained from adults, and can only become a limited number of cell types. Embryonic stem cells can become any cell in the body.
Why are stem cells of interest to people who want to regenerate their facial appearance?
In conjunction with Monash University we have developed a treatment for obtaining your own stem cells, isolating them in a specially created laboratory, and then injecting them into your facial skin.
How does the process work?
- A mini-liposuction is performed in our clinic, under local anaesthetic, to collect the tissue that contains your stem cells.
- This tissue is then transported to the Monash laboratory. Here the stem cells are purified and then grown in the laboratory (replicated) to produce high numbers of stem cells – up to 60 million.
- After 4 weeks of laboratory preparation the cells are tested to ensure their viability and purity, then transported back to our clinic. Here we combine them with a carrier medium and growth factors, which together produce an optimal environment for your stem cells.
- This combination is then injected into the skin using an instrument with tiny needles. This ensures precise delivery of the cells to where they need to be (in the dermis of the skin).
- Over several months the stem cells regenerate the face and neck skin, resulting in an improved appearance from rejuvenated facial tissues.
At this stage we believe that the results should last for some years, however as this is new research it will take some time to confirm this is correct.
GET IN TOUCH
Contact us for your complimentary consultation.
The Doctor’s Studio
Level 1, Suite 4, 87 Wattletree Road
Armadale VIC 3143 __
Monday–Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Saturday by appointment only
T. 03 9509 2000
Complimentary basement parking is available at The Doctor's Studio.